Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Glorying in Afflictions because of Romans 8:28

Psalm 149: 4: For the Lord takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation.

I ran across this marvelous verse this morning in my quiet time. I have read it before, but it commanded my attention today. I found a marvelous little book secondhand at my library yesterday, and it was Called to Pray by Wim Malgo. Written in 1975, it is as relevant today as it was then. The chapter I read today made me want to delight in the trials that have been appointed in my life. Mr. Malgo wrote about what are the necessary conditions for prayer:

"I always feel apprehensive when I hear people pray, 'Lord, please give me power', for our Lord has no use for powerful people. On the contrary Psalm 102: 4 says, 'He weakened my strength in the way.' The feeling of strength drives away the Spirit of prayer."

Later in the same chapter, he said: "If you have bitter disappointments from fellow Christians and fellow men, yes, if even the dearest one you have on this earth has disappointed you, then God has permitted this because He wants to make you a person of prayer. Let me say it more clearly: God takes away all your human props so that you can become increasingly dependent on Him alone."

In combination with what I received from last week's (9/12/13) teaching from the Grace and Truth Ladies Seminar, I found my heart rejoicing. I have had trials that have gone on for years without resolution, but God is in control of all that. In the verse we are all so familiar with, Romans 8:28, God makes us a promise that some would say is "too good to be true." It says: "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Judy spoke of what the words "that all things" referred to. In the Greek, the word for this is "pas" and here is what it means:

I.
individually
A.
each, every, any, all, the whole, everyone, all things, everything


II.
collectively
A.
some of all types

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3956&t=NKJV

How many times, in darkness have I mourned over situations that cannot be humanly solved? How many tears have I cried in unbelief of what this verse really means? Romans 8:28 is a promise with a condition, and that is one must be a God lover for this to be true in your life.

There is a fear, often, of becoming a disciple of Christ. For He asks no less than all of our soul, dedicated to Him. He says clearly in Luke 14: 26: “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple."

Well, how does the Lord get you to hate your own life? In trials, we see just who we really are without His enabling power. He reduces us to the state that we will not glory in our accomplishments, but only in what He does through us. But He also assures us that He will never leave us or forsake us (Heb. 13: 5), and as we continue in His Word, He shows us the glory and beauty of Christ. Also as we continue in His Word, He shows us Who He Really Is and it will automatically make us want to be a God lover, without striving or sweating. Then we realize that all along our lives do not really belong to us anyway, but to Him and that we hidden with Him.

Colossians 3: 3 is emphatic: "For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God."
In this we find true joy and the meaning and purpose for our lives!

I don't know about you, but I don't like my old person clinging to her regrets and moods. I would rather walk in the Truth that says my life is now hidden with Him. And so, I can thank Him for the things that have happened in the past, believing that God is using them to draw me nearer to His side and cling to Him for all my righteousness.

II Corinthians 5:21

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.

Galatians 2:20 and 21 also says:
“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

I leave you today with the link for the wonderful message by my friend Mrs. Judy Seligman, who expounded on Romans 8: 28 and what it means for believers.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=914132239433

Listen and be blessed!




No comments:

Post a Comment