Saturday, November 9, 2013

28 Years Ago Today...



"When I was a son with my father, tender, and the only one in the sight of my mother, he taught me and said to me,'Let your heart hold fast my words; keep my commandments and live'" Proverbs 4: 3-4

As I write this, I think of where I was 28 years ago. I was about to become a new mom with my firstborn son. Oh, how my life changed forever the moment he was born. I see the scene like yesterday. I was in labor since early morning the day before, and around midnight the doctor got called away on an emergency. I was left to push for three hours and feeling a sharp kick under my rib with each contraction. The use of forceps made for a rough delivery at 3:00 am on the nose on Sunday, November 10.

But how soon my pain was forgotten when the doctor held up our son, who only cried softly. A love like no other gripped my soul. It wasn't always easy being a parent to him and his two siblings, and I made many mistakes along the way. But I rejoice this Sunday, for this is the fourth set of Sundays since he made his entrance, and he has made the heart of his father and I glad. I can say this boy of mine has taken to heart learning God's Word and accepted the Lord as his personal Savior. He told me that only recently did he really understand that he needed to make the faith his own. Now Jesus is real to him like never before!

Proverbs 23: 26 "My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways."

3 John 4: I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."

He was disciplined along the way, and just like the Hebrew writer said, it was not easy. Hebrews 12: 11 says "For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."

But it has resulted in our son becoming a person who is law abiding, and hard working. He even told me he wished we had been more strict with him. Four years in our nation's military made a man of him and I burst with pride when I watched him immediately stand still and salute on base when the national anthem was played. This wasn't the teen who had left for boot-camp. No, something happened and this plan worked for the good in my son's life. (Rom. 8:28)

Before he left the military, Jon met his future wife. Now,the tables have turned. He and his bride wait for their own son to be born. How fast the years went by. I can say this Proverb has been fulfilled:

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not depart from it."

Then the life cycle will start all over again, as he faces the challenge and privilege of being a father. He in turn will have to seek the Lord as he discovers that one needs help beyond themselves in raising this new life, this totally dependent baby. There is no higher responsibility. And yes, now I will be the doting grandma. I can't wait!

I pray that my grandson also will be one who is:

Proverbs 13: 1 "A wise son hears his father's instruction...:

Happy 28th birthday Jon! May your posterity be blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment