Sunday, July 6, 2014

God will not fit into our box...

"If any man thirst, let him come to me and drink. He that believeth on me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." John 7:37-38

I was reminded at church today that God will not be limited by our puny human plans, or our human preconceptions. Often times when I pray, I think I know how God will answer the prayer, as if I have the omniscience of God. But He reminds me that His ways are so much higher than my ways, and His thoughts so much higher than my thoughts. (Isaiah 55:9)

I have been praying about a certain situation for quite a while now and told God that I believed He could answer exceeding abundantly beyond what I could ask or think. (Eph. 3:20) Well, He did that today, in a way I never would have dreamed. He broke down barriers. All in a way that was way beyond my own human understanding. How great is my God.

Sometimes we don't see the fruit of our prayers for years, but when I see an answer like I saw today, it encourages me to keep on praying for others that have gone on for years. Situations that seem impossible from a human standpoint are nothing to God. I love it when God told Abraham, "Is anything too hard for the LORD?" (Genesis 18:14) about Sarah bearing a son in her old age. He says it also to us, whatever situation we are in. Or what does God say through Isaiah?

"Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might He increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall; But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
Isaiah 40:28-31

My hope cannot be in myself or my ability to affect anything, but when I put my hope in the Lord, I will never be disappointed. I still have situations that seem impossible, by human standards, for "fixing." And every time I try to "fix" them myself, they only get worse. But in prayer, I leave them at the foot of His cross, and trust that He hears. Micah promises:

"Therefore I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me." (Micah 6:7)

So, even if our situation seems impossible, if God is in it, He can move mountains, and He is glorified when we believe that He can do above and beyond what we could ask or think. Our prayer is for His will, not ours, to be done. We must not faint,but keep on believing until we see our mountains moved! "And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Galatians 6:9no



No comments:

Post a Comment