Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Help me God! I'm Lukewarm


So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Luke 21:31

What kinds of things?

Like the things we've been seeing lately.

Flooding

Earthquakes

Wars and Rumors of Wars

.......Economic collapses

.......Men being lovers of selves and all the grief that causes

Here I am seeing all these signs around me, and still fight a battle daily with my own spiritual lethargy. How is it that I am so lukewarm in spite of seeing all these signs? I only shake my head and wonder how I can be so sluggish at times.

One verse I read recently stood out to me, as to possibly why God allows us to suffer through longstanding trials even in times like these.

Luke 21:19 says: "In your patience possess ye your souls."

Could it mean that our trials give us stamina? To help us to run to God like I did this morning and confess to Him yet again the lukewarm state of my own heart?


The word for patience is hypomonē (G5281) and in the Outline of Biblical Usage, it has these meanings:

steadfastness, constancy, endurance
in the NT the characteristic of a man who is not swerved from his deliberate purpose and his loyalty to faith and piety by even the greatest trials and sufferings
-patiently, and steadfastly
-a patient, steadfast waiting for
-a patient enduring, sustaining, perseverance

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G5281&t=KJV

So ongoing trials have a purpose in our lives to help us possess our souls. But what does it mean to possess our soul?

The word for possessing (getting) is the Greek word ktaomai (G2932). It means:

to acquire, get, or procure a thing for one's self, to possess

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2932&t=KJV

God has perfect wisdom, even in allowing the things we may not want to help drive us to Him. Even possibly, to show us our own lukewarm state? He has with me. Instead of feeling all strong I usually feel so weak, and like the Psalmist who wrote Psalm 119, could say to Him daily:

Psalm 119: 176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Your servant,
For I do not forget Your commandments.

So many things distract me, so many things contend for my attention in my life. Yet the only time my soul has real peace is when it is in communion with Him.

In these days of confusion, we can still run to our God and find in Him all that our souls are longing for. There is no other place to find it. I am convinced that it is only going to get harder and harder as the days go by, so today, while we have opportunity, we can run back to our Heavenly Father for He is merciful and gracious and is waiting with outstretched arms to receive us.

As I was praying today, I fought a voice that wanted to condemn me, that wanted me to quit already and to give up. Have you ever felt like that? That voice was not coming from God! God wants us to draw near, so much more so, now more than ever, as the Day of His return approaches.

Don't ever think it is too late for you to return to Him! That is a lie straight from the pit of hell. Jesus paid in full so that you would have that right to draw near. If you feel your heart is lukewarm, as I know mine is at times, you can join me in asking God to renew our love for Him. It is not something we can do ourselves, so don't even try. But since He knows what is in my heart anyway, I simply admit it to Him and ask Him to do the work that needs to be done inside of me.

Jesus did ask after telling the parable of the unjust judge: "I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?” (Luke 18:8)
Even though it is asked in the form of a question, it still gives me a shred of hope that He might find a bit of faith when He comes back. If He said He would not find any, I would not have hope at all.

1 "Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.3 For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

If I consider Him who endured for me, I will not lose heart.

This verse is for the members of the lukewarm church at Laodecia, the church on earth right before Christ comes back at His Second Advent:

Revelation 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment