Friday, January 6, 2017

But What About My Rights?

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ... Ephesians 1:3


I have struggled with a certain area in my life for many years. Can you believe that I actually thought I was right?

Today it dawned on me that it would be easier just to agree with God and no longer hold onto my so-called right to be right.

I think of a commercial from, of all places, Kentucky Fried Chicken from many years ago. It had a little jingle to it as the commercial reminded us, "You've got a right to chicken done right!"

I used to laugh and make up my own little response, "You've got a right to chicken done wrong!" Now, of course KFC chicken should be done right, and is done right, but my point is, why do I think I should have a "right" for anything while I am living in this fallen world?


Maybe it's not popular, but I really have no rights, except to go to the lake of fire, which would be exactly my right, except that Jesus Christ took my place and received the due penalty for my sins. Because He did not take advantage of His own rights as God, He graciously gave me the golden opportunity to receive many spiritual rights, privileges, and a home forever in heaven.

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. [Phl 2:5-11 NKJV]

It is not hard to homologeo, it is easy. It was hard for Jesus to make a new and living way for us. But for us, just to say yes and stop arguing with God is far easier than going the way of the backslider. When the Word says one thing and I say another, guess which one of us is right? (Hint: it's not me.)



 The word for confess is #3670 "homologeo,"  and in the Greek dictionary it looks like this: 


ὁμολογέωhomologeō


In the outline for Biblical usage, the first definition of homologeo (confess) is this to say the same thing as another, i.e. to agree with, assent.

I found such a relief in that today. God really does know what is best for me. Just something little I thought I would share in case someone else maybe struggling with holding on to their rights.

I actually had one right. I thank God He did not give me that "right,"  but instead the free gift of eternal life. 

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Romans 6:23


https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3670&t=KJV

2 comments:

  1. I believe that the Holy Spirit showed me that I have no legal rights in our Court system, based on the idea that Jesus gave up His rights...didn't even defend Himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I agree with you, we are not of this world, our citizenship is in heaven.
    Megan

    ReplyDelete