Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Jesus or the Nightly News?

The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and   we are not saved.    Jer. 8: 20


The upcoming winter forecast sounds harsh. After all the heat and humidity, am I ready for the season to change?  One thing's for sure, it's coming whether I like it or not.

We also are facing a hot political summer in America. I've never seen anything like it. If I watched the media constantly, I'd be depressed. Thank goodness, we have no cable and only get about 3 stations.

The media is not of God and it isn't where I need to focus anyway.  The word comes from, medium, as in witchcraft. Our airways and internet are filled with half truths. Just enough truth to tickle our ears, perk our interest. I deceive myself and think it's worthwhile. 

How much did our forefathers  know? Did the colonists immediately know when we were free from the British? No, it took time for the news to spread across the land. So why do I need to tune into the headlines from around the world as if my life depended on it?

All I really need is  found in one Book. All I need to know is rooted in One Person: Jesus.  This one beautiful fact becomes  more real to me every day.
For we must never forget that He rescued us from the power of darkness, and re-established us in the kingdom of His beloved Son. For it is by His Son alone that we have been redeemed and have had our sins forgiven. Now Christ is the visible expression of the invisible God. He existed before creation began, for it was through Him that everything was made, whether spiritual or material, seen or unseen...In fact, every single thing was created through, and for Him...Life from nothing began through Him, and life from the dead began through Him, and He is, therefore, justly called the Lord of all. Colossians 1: 13-16 Phillips
To live separate from this reality is emptiness, dissatisfaction. To be focused on the latest insanity is to drive myself crazy. At the end of the day, when my head hits the pillow, really one thing matters. Have I gotten to know this Perfect Savior a little bit better today? If not, my day has been wasted. One day soon, there will be no more opportunities.

Thank God the verse from Jeremiah about summer being over and not being saved can be balanced with what we know of the mercy of God. If we but turn to Him, no matter how long we may have wandered from the path, He is faithful and just to forgive us, and help us start over.

I have wiped out your transgressions like a thick cloud And your sins like a heavy mist. Return to Me, for I have redeemed you. Is. 44: 22

Some might say it's too radical to always be looking to Jesus. Maybe they might even think it is boring. Boring?  The truth is if you really get to know who this Jesus is, you cannot but help loving Him. He is our one constant in a world of uncertainty.

fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of God.   Heb. 12: 2
 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philippians 1: 21

No comments:

Post a Comment