Sunday, September 4, 2016

Hotcakes with Jesus

"Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am."

Philippians 4:11

"If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content."

I Timothy 6: 8




Sometimes I look around me and it seems like the devil whispers in my ear that I should be jealous of others. He suggests I somehow have a right to be jealous when I hear about friends' vacations, homes, successes, careers, yada, yada, yada.

I thought about that  this afternoon as I sat eating hotcakes at McDonald's by myself after church. Thankfully, I checked myself in my spirit and nipped this green monster in the bud. I thought, "Jesus is here with me as I enjoy these hotcakes."  I was blessed sitting there alone, but not really alone. Because He was there with me.

Many times I've been warned from the pulpit that if we aren't content with just what we have, just where we are, we will never be content no matter what we have, or where we are. "

We could always have something more, something we think will  really make us happy. Then we get that thing and are happy for about 10 minutes and then are just as miserable as before, if not more miserable. For we realize that once again we've been duped into thinking that something other than God alone can fill that craving in our soul.

 Sometimes I feel  I've drifted away from God by my day's end. But He hasn't left me. No matter where I am, or where I go, or even if I have really cut off my fellowship with Him through personal sin, He is still there, waiting to be all my soul requires.

Colossians 2: 10 declares:
 "in Him you have been made complete..." 
He is all I need, whether I eat lunch by myself or with the Queen of England. If I do not have the experiences others have, well, guess what, that's OK!   This isn't my final destination. I am only a stranger passing through. When I get to the other side, there will be pleasures that eye has never seen, nor ear has ever heard. (I Cor. 2:9)

"You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever." Psalm 16: 11
I am so happy that this is the truth! No matter what situation we're in, if we have Christ, we have everything. If we don't have Christ, no matter what we think we have, we have nothing.


Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6: 19-21




No comments:

Post a Comment