Tuesday, November 26, 2013

We're All in This Together

I Peter 1:24-5
For,
“ALL FLESH IS LIKE GRASS,
AND ALL ITS GLORY LIKE THE FLOWER OF GRASS.
THE GRASS WITHERS,
AND THE FLOWER FALLS OFF,

BUT THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURES FOREVER.”
And this is the word which was preached to you."

I was so weary last night that I went to bed way early. I simply could not bring myself to do the things I needed to do, so I figured I'd just go to bed and the tasks would be easier in the morning. And this morning, God was faithful to refresh me as I read His Word in the book of I Peter.

All flesh is like grass. The thought hit me to look at others, and myself, in a different way. Human beings are fragile.
We may think we are strong but we have no idea what could happen tomorrow. Our lives are but a fragile breath,here one minute and gone the next. What if I looked at people with that reality?

What if I considered others in the Body of Christ the way God does in I Peter 2:9-10:

"But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God’s OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; for you once were NOT A PEOPLE, but now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD; you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY."

Every member of the Body is part of this special group of people. I need to see others in this way, and not according to my own thinking about them. Think of the great price that was paid by Christ to redeem them. Hold them in highest regard because they are "members in particular" (I Corinthians 12: 27).

Consider how high the purchase price was for Christ to redeem us:
I Peter 1: 18-20
"knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers,but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you..."

All the gold in the world could not have lifted even one of us out of the pit. Only the perfect Son of God could redeem us by laying His life down for us. That is how much He esteemed us. He saw us having value, even though we couldn't deserve it in a million years.

He was the Lamb of God who took away the sins of the world. Anyone who believes in His Person shares in this same heavenly status as of being paid for with an inestimable price. Oh, how much He loved us to do that for us. I should see my brother and sister in Christ as having incalculable value. Actually, every person on this earth because of the great price paid to make salvation possible to any and all who want it.

And yet each human life is so fragile. My words can either tear down or build up that person. We never know when that person's time might be over. What if they left this earth after I had torn them down, said angry and harsh words?

Oh, for the eyes of faith to walk in this reality instead of "You know how they are!" Instead of attributing sins and failures to people to think of them as chosen, holy, a person of God's very possession. To walk with they eyes of faith. And to realize I don't have to love people because they, on their own, did something to merit my love. No, they are either part of the chosen family of God or are candidates to be in that family. God's love for them can fill me instead of paltry and miserable human love.

It is my wish to live in this reality. Thank you Lord, for revealing your great love for us and reminding us of the preciousness of Your holy gift. Truly something to be eternally grateful for in this season of Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment