Sunday, May 1, 2016

Well, blame it on God then!


             
But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.    I Cor. 11: 3

This morning I casually discussed what to do with our leftover chicken with my dearly beloved. I had a great plan, to add it to teriyaki vegetables and add quinoa to boost the protein for tonight's dinner. I invited him to partake of it with me.

 "Don't do that," my husband said. "We'll  just end up with leftovers that we will have to get rid of."

 I wanted to argue with him, and laughingly joked, "Well, its a good thing you are in charge   around here."

He brought me up short. "Well, argue with God then. He's the One who made it that way."

 I had to agree with him, that is if I claim to believe the Bible. The point was not whether I could make chicken teriyaki, but allowing the simple truth from God's Word  to bring peace to my situation.

It sounds pretty silly, I admit it. But this one little verse has been a real key to marital harmony in my home. It wasn't always that way, and I used to hate verses like this one. Now, I see they are really for my deliverance in time. God has spelled it out so clearly in the Word.

It is not that we are inferior to our husbands, not at all. But God has built into the man the authority to be the head of the home. God has worked in my husband without me reminding him that for him to be the head is an awesome responsibility before God. He is to lead and shepherd his family like Jesus is our Good shepherd.

 In a tiny example, the other day, hubby started getting rid of clothes he would never wear again. I wanted him to do that a long time ago but let myself not get upset about it when he didn't jump when I snapped my fingers.

I told him today how much that had inspired me also to get rid of stuff. He told me, "You know, I realize that I have to do my part in this de-cluttering thing and set a good example."

I didn't ask him to do that. God showed it to him as the head of our home.

Instead of worrying about my husband screwing things up, I can commit  issues I would tend to get anxious over to the Lord, asking Him to direct my husband's heart in wisdom. For it was God who has set my husband in authority, and made him the head of the house. I can then rely on Proverbs 21:1:

The kings heart is in the hand of the LORD. Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.
 I commit my prayer to God asking Him to direct my husband like the rivers of water. I then can have peace and not try to force my own wishes. The result is I have great peace in my marriage.

I admit I am glad my husband pulled me up short over my thoughtless complaint today. Do I really want to blame God for the Divine order of things?

...woman is the glory of man. For man is not from woman, but woman from man. Nor was man created for the woman, but the woman for the man. I Cor. 7b, 8-9  
 A godly mentor (Mrs. Judy Seligman) shared these Scriptures with me many years ago. It has been a real marriage saver. If a Christian woman reads this and doesn't like it (just like I didn't used to like it) well, I  say take it up with the Lord then. Look up the Scriptures and see if God doesn't have a better way than our schemes to get our  way in  marriage. If you trust God with this , you will find a better way. God promises it to the one who takes Him at His Word.

 I don't know why I wrote this today outside of the fact that if it helps even one marriage, it will have been worth it. Thanks for reading.










No comments:

Post a Comment